Friday, October 10, 2008

Children

Yesterday I spent my morning in Choma, a city about 45 minutes from Kalomo, where a group of about 10 of us toured St. Mulumba Special School for the hearing impaired, visually impaired, and intellectually impaired. It was a really great experience. I had no idea what to expect by going there. I thought that we would just tour the school, get some feedback from the administrators about questions we might have, and leave. I did not expect to be playing with kids! I couldn't even effectively communicate with most of them, but they loved that I would take their picture and give them so much attention! One little boy would say "Teacha! Teacha! Photo!" and proceed to pose with a different background everytime. He was a very smart child. These kids were all so well behaved, and the facility was very clean and organized.

I think one of the most impressionable things about seeing this school, was the children who were speaking only in sign language. I know a little bit of sign language, like enough to say my name and a few other basics, but the best thing was that these kids taught me! They were so gracious to us. I feel like a lot of kids in the states who are deaf really feel the impact of their disability and see it as a flaw, but these kids have totally embraced the fact that they are hearing impaired and even have the courage and gentleness to each us! They taught me how to say how are you and respond with fine, i can say red, blue, green, yellow, white and brown. I can say beautiful, boy, girl, good, and thank you. It was so humbling to have some of the kids calling me teacher and then others were being the teacher. God is so cool and don't worry, I have tons of pictures!

Going to this school, really made me want to learn more sign language. There is a club at Harding I may join when I go back in the Spring to learn more so I can better communicate with the hearing impaired, especially if i come across kids or families in that situation in my career one day.

It was such a good day, and I hope I can go back to that school one day, whether it be soon or later on in my life. It was such a peace-driven place and I can't imagine not going back one day, even if it's just for a visit.

No comments: